Recently for a friend’s birthday present, I made her a Tim Gunn bobblehead because he is one of her favourite TV characters, and also such a product has been discontinued from the Project Runway website.
Many people have asked me how I did it, and to be very honest – I’m not quite sure either! This was something that I had never done before; I only had a vision in my mind and I did my best to fulfill it. All I used were some very inexpensive materials and some creative innovation.
If you are feeling inspired to do something like this yourself, here is a list of my materials to start you off:
- air-dry modelling clay purchased at a local 2-dollar store
- 1 empty plastic spool (used to carry thread)
- 1 button with protruding loop out the back (button face wide enough to sit on the top of the spool, with the loop inserted into the spool centre shaft)
- 2 springs from old ballpoint pens
- epoxy (overkill, but makes sure that the thing is sturdy!)
- modelling tools
- 1 rock
- 1 long bamboo skewer rod
- acrylic paint
And where exactly do all these materials fall into the process? Maybe that is for you to figure out. Unless I have time to make a full tutorial in the future…teehee.